Saturday, July 16, 2011

Nice Guys Finish....?

My next date was more recent. This guy - Nice Guy - emailed me and immediately asked me out. That's not really my speed, because I like to exchange a few emails to get a better read on the person and see if it's even worthwhile. So, I dragged our conversation out a bit in the guise of setting up our date.

About him: I had seen his profile before and thought he was alright. He seemed a little more introspective and thoughtful than the guys I usually date and that threw me a little. Nice Guy's pictures were okay, too - his main photo was not great, but the others made him look a lot more attractive. He's a few inches taller than me, but short enough that I'd think twice about wearing heels. He seemed like a nice enough guy (hence, the moniker), but I was really getting more of a friend vibe off of him.


The set-up: Nice Guy invited me out for coffee and even suggested the location. I misread his email, though, and suggested another, which he agreed to. Neither of us had been there, but both had been interested in checking it out. We agreed to meet in the afternoon and I made plans to make dinner with a friend so that I could use that as an excuse to leave early if I wanted to.

The date: This time, I didn't worry as much about what I was going to wear. TR had kind of slowed my enthusiasm for this renewed bout of dating and I wasn't super worried about impressing this guy. Because it was an afternoon date, I went casual with a pair of cuffed dark jeans, sandals, and a drapey tank top that showed a little cleavage (hey, I wanted to make a little bit of effort!). I realized on the drive to the cafe that my cuticles were looking mighty wrecked, so I applied some lotion while I was driving. Of course, I accidentally squirted too much into my hand and had to drive most of the way all slathered up and slipping on the steering wheel. I also texted a friend and half-jokingly told her to call the police if I didn't check-in within two hours.

Despite my moisturizer mishap, I arrived at the coffee shop first. (Maybe I need to stop being so on time?) I got my drink and started to settle into a cozy spot in the corner when I spied my date coming in. NG was distinctly more attractive than his pictures and maybe an inch shorter than I had expected. We exchanged pleasantries while he got his beverage and we claimed a spot on one of the cafe's comfy sofas. Neither of us had re-read the other's online profile before coming, so we ran through the usual who-what-where-why-when of first date conversations. We grew up in the same town (and hated it) and both went to college and graduate school and are in similar places in our careers.

During one of our emails, I had remarked that we seemed to have pretty similar personalities, and while that was a little bit of hyperbole on my part, it turns out that we really do have similar perspectives on life, the world, movies, etc. He told me that my profile pictures were good, but that I was much prettier in person, and  other such things that let me know that he was into me. That, of course, felt great.

We talked at length about ourselves and each other and had a nice, mildly flirty rapport. At one point, I excused myself to go the restroom and texted my friend to let her know that police would not be needed, since we were nearing the two hour mark of hanging out. Neither of us seemed eager to end the date and we vaguely discussed potential future outings. I had to run an errand at a bookstore about a block down, so I invited NG to come along. We walked and chatted and perused books together, and then even stopped in at a local art gallery afterwards. At our cars, we made plans for a second date to go see a movie we both have been wanting to see and hugged goodbye.

The debrief: So, apparently great first dates do happen. Who knew?? NG and I had a ton in common and an easy time talking to each other. I'm not holding my breath for anything, but I am definitely looking forward to our second date.

At one point during our date we discussed how we both get really excited about things and aren't always able to contain our enthusiasm. Since I could tell that he also had a great time with me, I had a feeling as I was driving away that he was probably grinning as much as I was. I sent him a quick text message to let him know I had a great time and he immediately texted back that he did too and couldn't wait to see me again.

The verdict: At this point, since we hit it off so well and already have second date plans, NG is too valuable to Throw. I'm also thinking there may be more there than just Fuck (but you never know!). Even if NG doesn't end up being the right guy for me, he's definitely long-term material for someone. My choice: Marry.

No comments:

Post a Comment