Saturday, October 29, 2011

Awkward is as Awkward Does

Okay, let's all go back in our time machine to this summer when this blog experiment first started. Before "Nice Guy" and I started dating, I had one more date with another guy. It was on the same day as my first date with Nice Guy, actually (scandalous!), and it wasn't much but I feel like I should report it nonetheless.

About him: This guy - I'll just go ahead and call him Awkward - was not particularly attractive on his online profile, but he did seem decently nice and smart. He's in law school and just seemed like a normal, average guy. I have a policy of accepting 95% of first date offers, so I went along with it. (My policy is just based on giving people the benefit of the doubt - you never know when first impressions are off, or when you're going to have more in common with someone than you think.)


The set up: Like I said, this was the same day as my afternoon date. Awkward had night class, so I made dinner plans with one of my besties and scheduled drinks with him after he got out of class. He picked the bar, since it was in an area I'm not familiar with.

The date: I almost missed the bar. It was unmarked and far more dive-y than I expected (don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good dive bar, but it definitely was not what I expected in this particular instance). I was on time, but he was already inside and bellied up to the bar. He stood up when I approached him. My first impressions were that he was tall, underdressed for a first date (even for a dive bar, which, incidentally he didn't realize this was going to be), and he needed some cosmetic dentistry. Maybe I'm shallow or callow or whatever, but I notice these things.

He already had a drink, so I bought myself a beer and we moved to a quiet table on their outdoor patio. Maybe it was because I was coming off the glow of my previous date, or maybe we really didn't have anything in common, but our interaction was flat. I tried to be fun and provoke interesting conversation, but he was just plain awkward. I felt like he would've been more comfortable playing Dungeons and Dragons than hanging out at a bar with a girl.

We both drank our first beers quickly. (Mine was from boredom, I think his was from nerves.) I felt like it would be bad to bolt so early into the date, so we went in and got another beer. We moved to an inside table. For being a dive, the place was cavernous (those two things seem somehow oxymoronic to me). I gave it another 30 minutes of teeth-pulling conversation and then called it a night (it was decently late by this point).

The debrief: The lack of chemistry between us was so obvious to me from the first minute of meeting him. I think he's a nice guy, but definitely not my type (I prefer my nerds to be the computer kind, not the twelve-sided dice kind).

The verdict: Definitely a throw. The other two options aren't even options. And yet, in retrospect, maybe he deserved a second date. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment